Fun “Book Talk” moments at a recent holiday gathering:
- Telling a writer friend and his wife about my experience at my first Bouchercon in Long Beach, CA last month (the glow is still with me).
- Selling an audio version (CD set) of UNDERWATER to a member of my Writers Group I hadn’t seen in months, who said he spends a lot of time driving. He was a regular attendee when I brought scenes of the manuscript to the group for feedback.
- Finding out that a friend loves LONESOME DOVE as much as I do, talking about the book, and lending it to someone else who wants to read it (despite its length).
- Asking another friend if I can interview him to help me do research for my work-in-progress. He agreed, and suggested I speak to someone else we know who might help, too.
- Talking about the German translation of UNDERWATER (“UNTER WASSER”) to be released on February 24, 2015.
- Describing how I use social media to engage with readers and market my books.
- Mentioning that my next book (Book 3) is a work of creative nonfiction called ALL THE ABOVE, which will be out in the spring.
- Hearing a (lawyer) friend recite poetry by Ezra Pound.
- Listening to a writer friend talk about his mystery series.
- Explaining that after Book 3, I’m sticking with the psychological thriller genre and writing fiction.
Happy Holidays, and Bonne Année 2015!